Occupational Health Services
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could design the occupational health services YOU needed?
Story County Medical Center knows that, as a company’s employee health representative, you have a multitude of health care services that you need access to on a daily basis. From pre-employment physicals to coordinating on-site First Aid training, you are in charge of your employees’ health.
We also know that it is frustrating for you to make your employees wait for appointments, not get test results back in a timely manner and to call a variety of organizations to schedule the services you need. Recognizing these frustrations, Story County Medical Center has created an occupational health service that is designed by YOU, to fit YOUR needs.
We offer personalized care, timely appointments, quick results and a variety of services so that you only have to call one place to fulfill all of your occupational health needs. The services your company requires, whether it be health classes or different drug tests, will be individualized to meet your needs.
Check out the menu of services available below:
Corporate Wellness Services
Many corporate health services are available through Story Medical’s Wellness Department. Any of
Story Medical’s programs or services can be individualized to meet your company’s needs. From consultations to on-site First Aid training,
Story Medical provides the programs that you and your employees need.
Story Medical provides the following training programs:
- American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid training
- American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR training
- American Heart Association Heartsaver AED training and support
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR training
- Lunch & Learn Programs on exercise options, strength training, stress management, healthy eating habits, herb and prescription medicine interaction, oriental medicine, and many more
- Fitness Testing including: muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, body fat composition, flexibility, height, weight, pulse and blood pressure.
- Fitness Classes offered at Story Medical that would benefit your employees and their families include Fit-4-Life, Women on Weights and Get Movin’, a program designed for youth. Personal training is also available.
- On-site health fairs and screenings
- Flu shot administration
- Consultation on wellness program development
- Diabetes screening and education
Story Medical’s Laboratory helps you get the drug testing that you need in a time frame that fits your schedule. Testing on a walk-in basis saves you time and helps you accommodate your employees’ needs.
Collections are done on a walk-in basis; no appointments are necessary. The Laboratory is open from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday for occupational health services. Other hours may be arranged with advance notice.
- Same day resulting available for negative tests.
- On-site collections are available.
- Medical Review Officer (MRO) provided by Story Medical.
- Collection kit and chain of custody form provided by Story Medical.
- Rapid Testing performed at Story Medical Laboratory include:
- 5 Panel Cut off values of our kit
- Marijuana (THC metabolite) 50 ng/ml
- Cocaine 300 ng/ml
- Phencyclidine (PCP) 25 ng/ml
- Morphine 2000 ng/ml
- Methamphetamine 1000 ng/ml
- Confirmatory testing will be performed by gas chromatography / mass spectrometry (GC/MS) at Clinical Reference Laboratory, results received in approximately 72 hours.
- If other drug panels are needed, they can be collected at
Story Medical and sent to Clinical Reference Laboratory for testing, results received in approximately 72 hours.
- Results of the rapid testing will be faxed or mailed to designated employer representative.
- After notification of a positive result from the medical review officer,
Story Medical will mail a copy of this result to employer representative.
Story Medical can provide your employees emergency medical services in our Emergency Department and through our Medical Intensive Care Unit (ambulance) 24 hours/day, seven days/week.
- When your employee is critically injured, you need a hospital you can trust to provide expert care in a timely manner and work with you when the incident occurs.
- You and your employees will appreciate a wait time in the ED that averages less than 10 minutes.
- Story Medical’s ED physician or nurse will be in contact with you as soon as the patient notifies them that the incident is workers compensation related.
- The ED provides emergency medical services in a three bed bay and exam room.
ED physicians are on call 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.
- The ED is staffed with registered nurses certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and the Trauma Nurse Core Course.
- The ED is certified by the Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of EMS as a Community Level Trauma Care Facility and operates within those guidelines when caring for your employees.
- The Medical Intensive Care Unit is a fully authorized Paramedic level ambulance and crew that provides emergency service to Story County 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.
- The ambulance is staffed with two Paramedics certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support.
Medical Clinic Services
Employee physicals at Story Medical’s three medical clinics are individually designed to meet your requirements. A variety of services are offered to meet your company’s needs, including official DOT physicals, pre-employment screens and post-offer assessments.
- Pre-employment physicals will be completed within 72 hours, if not sooner.
- Work site injuries can be seen in the clinic the same day they occur. Treatment for workers compensation injuries can be easily coordinated with the clinic physicians.
- Results of all physicals and screenings will be sent to you as soon as they are available.
- A range of laboratory tests, color and normal vision screening and hearing screening are available.
- Spirometry or Pulmonary Function Tests are available.
- Medical clinic services are provided in Nevada, Maxwell and Zearing. A variety of locations for treatments help accommodate yours employees’ needs.
- Natural health services are provided in Ames at the Ames Natural Health Clinic and also at the
medical center 1 day/week.
Story Medical’s Physical Therapy Department is managed by 21st Century Rehab. Trained therapists help return your employees back to work as quickly as possible.
- 21st Century Rehab is one of only five Central Iowa physical therapy practices certified to perform Isernhagen Work Systems WorkWell pre-work screens and functional job analysis evaluations.
- 21st Century Rehab is a family-owned, Iowa practice that is dedicated in providing a full range of quality therapy services including physical, occupational and speech therapy.
- Therapy services are available at Story Medical Monday through Friday, 7:00am – 5:30pm or by after-hours appointment. Same day appointments can be accommodated.
- Physical and occupational therapists will work with you and your employees on treatment plans best suited for worker compensation injuries.
- WorkWell certification enables 21st Century therapists to effectively:
- Perform FCE – Functional Capacity Exams
- Assist with job matching systems
- Design stay-at-work/return-to-work programs
- Recommend ergonomic modifications and education programs
- Administer physical performance testing
- Perform in-work screenings.
- Provide on-site intervention and injury prevention
- management services
- Offer OSHA standards assistance.
- Story Medical teams up with your company to incorporate WorkWell practices into your human resources and safety management departments. The program is designed to help save you time and money.
- Over the past six years, the Pella Corporation has estimated it has saved nearly 4 million dollars by utilizing the WorkWell system.